Friday, July 30, 2010

Discipline, skills key to fighters' conquest

DISCIPLINE, patience and right strategies did the trick for Team Phoenix-Moo Duk Kwan Davao's sterling triple victories in the Ultimate Strikers Championship (USC) 5 Saturday at the SM Bicutan in ParaƱaque City.

"Our players were very disciplined and patient. We instructed them not to brawl early and to study their taller and bigger opponents. What happened at the USC 5 was a very good break for Davao Muay Thai players," head coach Edgar Alan Paulino said. "Hopefully we can bring more Davao talents to compete in Manila."

Steve "Red Knight" Grandeza hacked out a knockout victory over Francis "Baguio" Romero while Rudy "4K Kevkatchi" Tacogue beat Christopher Tamayo via unanimous decision and Carlo "Red Rock" Laude scored a third round knockout win over Manuel "Cobra" Silvano of Quezon City.

"We are happy with the result. We performed well considering that our rivals were more seasoned in Muay Thai competitions than us. But there is no time to relax though as I will resume rigid training for my world title fight in Dubai on Oct. 1," Grandeza said in yesterday's Davao Sportswriters Association (DSA) Forum at the Tower Inn.

Assistant coach Bryan Grandeza also praised the performances of their wards saying.

"They really had good preparation and listened to us very well," Grandeza said.

Laude, a first Dan MDK blackbelt, said he didn't expect to win as it was his first time to compete in full contact sport.

"It was also my first time to compete in Muay Thai and to had done so outside the city. It was really a whole new experience for me and I'm so happy. I thanked my coaches for their help with my techniques. My ears were just attuned to them during the fight and I didn't even listen to the referee's reminders," Laude said.

Tacogue, a former sparring partner of the world's pound-for-pound boxer Manny Pacquaio, said he looks forward to competing in more Muay Thai tournaments.
"I quit boxing when I had an injury yet now I'm into Muay Thai and I'm enjoying it," Tacogue said in the vernacular.

Steve Grandeza said he will face a Ghana fighter in Dubai.

"We will study his fights over the net. But I think I have an edge over him since he had nowhere to see my fights. I didn't upload any video of my fights so as not to give my opponents any idea," he said.

The team thanked Davao City Mayor Inday Sara Duterte and Vice Mayor Rody R. Duterte, Dennis Uy of Phoenix Fuel and Christopher "Bong" Go for their support.


Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on July 30, 2010.

No comments: