Friday, October 8, 2010

Basilio in Malaysia Climbathon

DAVAO City's Mel Andrew Basilio will compete anew in the 23rd Mt. Kinabalu International Climbathon set on Oct. 24 and 25 in Sabah, Malaysia.

Basilio is part of the 16-member Philippine Skyrunning Association team that will see action in the event, dubbed as "The World's Toughest Mountain Race."


"Some 38 countries are participating in the race where we have to beat the four hours and 30 minutes time limit. The race involves running up and down Mt. Kinabalu, which is 4,095.2 meters above sea level, with a total distance of 21 kilometers," he said in yesterday's Davao Sportswriters Association (DSA) Forum at the Tower Inn.

"It's higher and colder than our Mt. Apo so it's really a challenging race. But I've trained in Baguio, Calinan recently just to acclimatize with the cold weather. I'm leaving for Baguio City o Oct. 17 to resume my training before flying to Malaysia," Basilio said.

He said that his regular participation to the Climbathon is for the benefit of local elementary schools in far-flung barangays.

"My beneficiary this time will be the Masicampo Elementary School in Suawan, Marilog District where there are 123 students from Grade 1 to Grade 6. I still lack funding for my trip but I will make sure that my advocacy of giving school supplies to this school will materialize," Basilio said.

Basilio donated 162 packs of school supplies to another elementary school in Marilog last year. (MLSA)

Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on October 08, 2010.

No comments: