Friday, June 4, 2010

Trackster makes Davao proud

CASH-STRAPPED jumper Jonash Melchor bought his and his mom's plane tickets on loan and paraded alone during the opening ceremonies of the 2010 Milo National Open Track and Field Championships at the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex in Manila.

And Melchor vividly remembers it all. When he was walking down the track and introduced as the lone representative from the Davao Region, only a fellow Davao City athlete who is now based in Manila applauded.

It turned out Melchor produced a mighty performance worthy of a rousing applause and support from his peers back in Davao.

The 19-year-old Melchor, who was forced to compete without the needed support, specifically from his school--the Holy Cross of Davao College--produced one gold medal and a silver in an event participated by the country's top track stars as well as foreign athletes.

Melchor, a Holy Cross of Davao College (HCDC) varsity scholar, seized the triple jump gold and the long jump silver in the seniors category for a rousing Manila campaign.

"I really didn't get any support from my school, not even for my registration fee of P350. I also sought help from local politicians but I didn't receive any help," Melchor said in the vernacular. "I thank my parents for making a way for me to compete in the National Open despite having to pay off debts incurred for the traveling expenses, fee and meals."

Melchor, who hails from Wangan in Calinan, graced the regular Davao Sportswriters Association (DSA) Forum at the Tower Inn yesterday and presented his medals. He was not complaining about his plight, but was only revealing the truth behind his triumphant campaign.

He said the De La Salle University juniors team offered to pay for his registration fee before the trackfest began on the condition that he will represent them.

"I am from Davao City so I will represent it. I will not exchange my identity just for P350," Melchor said.

Melchor is no neophyte in big athletics meet as he also held two golds in the 2009 National University Games in Iloilo City, one gold in the 2008 National Prisaa Championships in Zamboanga City, one gold and a silver in the 2009 National Prisaa Championships in Naga City and 2010 Ched National Games in Manila.

He added that DLSU and the Far Eastern University (FEU) offered him scholarships but he rejected them.

"My coach Toto Lacanaria said it won't be wise for me to transfer now as I only have one year left to graduate. He discouraged me from going to Manila as I might just be exploited," Melchor said.

"I respect my coach's advise so I'm staying. I plan to join the Philippine Air Force after graduation and might as well get a chance to make it to the national team," added Melchor, a Business Administration student.

HCDC sports coordinatar Abe Verdeprado, in a phone interview, admitted he wasn't able to extend support for Melchor's stint in Manila.

"If I give to him, I will have to give all the others who will be seeking support as well. We have nothing to give because our budget was already exhausted after competing in the Ched National Games," Verdeprado said.

He, however, assured to give Melchor incentive.

"I'm getting things ready so we can give him due recognition. I'm still waiting for an official result though coming from the organizers. I hope Melchor can give me a copy because that's the basis of granting him a reward," Verdeprado said.

Melchor countered: "Can't I just show him (Verdeprado) the medals. I told him I will bring the medals to him but he won't believe me. My gold and silver wins were written in both local and national papers, is that not enough proof that I indeed won those medals?"

He maintained though that he will continue to train and represent HCDC for the upcoming National Uni-Games in October.


Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on June 4, 2010.

No comments: